ikebana and life in japan

a blog about ikebana and life in japan

5/12/13

Mother's Day Flowers

It has been over 15 years since I have had the pleasure to wish my mom a "Happy Mother's Day" in person.

I always call to wish her well on Mother's Day, but it just isn't the same -- being able to give her a big hug and see her smile. I know she feels the same way. I usually get on the Internet and try to find something interesting to send her. This year, I couldn't find anything that I thought she would like. I got a card in the mail to her, but I didn't send a gift.

Instead, I thought I would make an arrangement for her. Ideally, I would love to make it for her in person, but being across the ocean on the other side of the earth makes that a bit difficult!

I chose her favorite color, yellow, as the base of the arrangement, and mixed in a little orange and red -- all happy, vibrant, strong colors, just like my mom. I also added a couple of white anthurium thinking they would like nice in the mix of colors. Of course, I also had to mix in some green to give it a fresh feeling.

I know that she will love it, and immediately download the picture to use as her screen saver. She can enjoy the arrangement for weeks to come, which is just what I wanted!












It was such a beautiful day that I decided to take a few pictures outside.







Happy Mother's Day to an amazing woman who inspires everyone around her with her strength and love for family and friends! You inspire me to be a better person, and I am thankful and proud to be your son.

4 comments:

Nora Kay said...

This is the best gift Son and I love it so much. It is always nicer to receive in person but I know that is not possible. I accept this and send all my love back to you. It is an honor to have you for my Son. I always wanted to be a Mom and you was a dream come true. Thank you for making my day. I Love You, Mom

Unknown said...

Mom,
I'm glad you liked it!
Love you, too!

The FitzWilliams said...

Love the flowers, and I love your mom!

Unknown said...

misty leigh,

you are so sweet! i know my mom loves you, too. she is a little envious that you are going to come to japan this fall!